Accidents At Work

If you’re injured at work because of an accident

If you make a claim for compensation or you need to claim benefits, including Statutory Sick Leave, keeping evidence of your accident would be beneficial (SSP). 

By reporting it at work and seeing a doctor, you will get your accident registered. 

It’s a good idea to: 

  • Make sure that you have contact information with those who witnessed your accident, take pictures of your injuries and whatever caused your accident.
  • Provide evidence as best as possible to help show what happened by asking any witnesses to make notes and share them with you. 

Reporting a workplace accident 

It depends on who you are reporting the accident to, the location where you worked when you had it and your ‘job status’, which means whether you are a student, an employee or a self-employed person. On GOV.UK, you can verify your job status. 

If you can’t do it yourself, you can ask someone else to record the accident on your own. 

If there are more than 10 workers of the business or organisation you recorded the injury, they must document it in an accident book. It’s a good idea to make sure it’s done – you should ask for a check from your boss. Smaller organizations may also have an accident book, so it’s worth asking if it’s possible to document the accident. 

If an accident book is not available, write down the accident information and send it to your boss or the person you are reporting to. For yourself, hold a copy. 

Having a physician 

It is best to make an appointment as soon as possible to see your GP. In your medical history, they will log the specifics of your accident, as well as treat your injury. 

You will find the nearest urgent care facilities on the NHS website if you need to see a doctor right away. 

To find out whether your employer needs to provide you with paid time off for your appointment, review your contract – learn all about time off work to visit the doctor. 

Having pay and benefits if you can’t work 

Check your work contract to see if: 

You will receive ‘contractual sick leave’ from your boss to get access to a helpline for employee support or medical treatment. 

Contractual pay for sick 

You can learn more about contractual sick leave, including how your customer should verify whether they can get it and what proof their employer can order. 

Ask your boss, or check your staff handbook or intranet, if you have not been given a contract or it does not mention sick pay. 

If you are an employee or agency worker, you can earn up to 28 weeks of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) – check if you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay. 

You may be entitled to receive Universal Credit or another advantage if you can’t get SSP – learn all about getting money when you’re sick off work. 

If you’re self-employed and have insurance for income security, you can make a claim. You should check what incentives you can get if you don’t have insurance. 

Giving a claim for personal injuries 

If you believe it’s the fault of your employer or client, you may want to claim compensation for your injuries – but this can be difficult and take a long time. 

Contact the closest People Advice to find a professional solicitor for support. You should get legal advice from a solicitor. 

Contact your local representative if you are a member of a labour union, or search their website to see how to get in touch. They will help you decide what to do, and will be able to come to your employer’s meetings to assist you. 

If you intend to make a claim, it’s best to get legal advice as soon as possible, since there are time limits – learn all about seeking compensation for an accident.

We use cookies to improve your browsing experience

For more information please refer to our .