Consumer Laws

You decided to purchase products or services, but you later changed your mind or were unable to complete the transaction? 

Have you been asked to pay a cancellation fee to a company, but want to dispute the amount? 

Have you misplaced your deposit or advance payments and are looking for a way to get them back from the company? 

It’s possible that the company is requesting more money than it is entitled to. It’s not necessarily legally binding either because it’s in the contract. Unfair terms cannot be relied upon by businesses. Examine your legal rights as a buyer. 

Consumer law may be of assistance to you. 

Don’t just agree that if you cancel the deal, the company will retain your deposit and advance payments or charge you a cancellation fee. The company can only do so if the contract term is fair. A cancellation fee is not fair simply because it is included in the contract you signed; it must be realistic. 

You may be entitled to a full or partial refund in some cases, but you shouldn’t plan to get any of your money back if you change your mind. Except under some cases will businesses hold your deposit or advance payments, or ask you to pay a cancellation fee. If you terminate a deal, the company is usually only allowed to retain or obtain a sum that is adequate to offset their actual losses as a result of your termination (eg costs already incurred or loss of profit). 

Businesses must take appropriate measures to minimize losses (eg by re-selling the goods or services). Deposits that are non-refundable should be a small percentage of the overall price. Cancellation fees must be based on a realistic estimation of the company’s direct loss. 


Make contact with the Company

If you have any questions, first inquire as to how the company arrived at the sum they are holding or charging you for canceling the deal. 

It may also be beneficial to familiarize yourself with our company guide. You can create a free account on our website where you can access free legal support from experts in Consumer Law.

We use cookies to improve your browsing experience

For more information please refer to our .