Corona Virus: Issues With Furlough Pay

You can read our tips on how to get paid while you’re furloughed, including what to do if: 

  • You haven’t got any furlough pay yet, but assume you should. 
  • You assume you were given the incorrect amount of furlough compensation. 

If you feel your salary is inaccurate or you have not been paid, the next thing you can do is check with your boss. You have the right to sue your boss if you and they can’t agree on how much you should have been paid. 

You should act immediately because having your money back after three months from the date the issue occurred would be far more difficult.

Examine the pay stub 

Start by going over your payslip, if you have one. This will allow you to see how your pay has been measured. Find the following: 

  • whether you were paid for the total amount of hours you worked, whether you were paid at the right rate, and whether you were paid for overtime, commission, or bonus
  • whether you got any sick leave, bonus pay, or maternity pay that you were expecting, and whether your employer deducted any money that you weren’t expecting.

If you’re an employee or a worker, you have a legal right to a payslip that describes how your salary was measured. If you are paying by the hour, your payslip would indicate the amount of hours you have worked. 

If you don’t have a payslip or if your payslip doesn’t indicate how your salary was measured, contact your boss. GOV.UK helps you to decide whether you are an employee or a worker. 

You should show your employer this Acas guideline, which explains why they are supposed to provide you with a payslip. If they fail to consent, you’ll have to file a complaint with them. 

Chat with your manager 

If you’re having issues with your wages, consider talking to your manager informally. You may also contact the company’s human resources or payroll department, if one exists. 

Ask them to clarify something on your payslip that you don’t understand or why you haven’t been charged. Explain why you disagree with anything. 

If your employer has made a real error, insist that they pay you the money you are owed as soon as possible. You shouldn’t have to wait for the next paycheck to get anything. 

Typical concerns 

  • You’ve overpaid your income
  • Your employer has withheld money from your salary and you haven’t been paying for any of the hours you’ve worked. 
  • You have not been compensated for time off due to sickness or parental leave. 
  • You haven’t been credited for your sick time. 
  • Your employer is no longer in business. 
  • You haven’t been paid in quite some time. 

Steps To Take

Step 1: contact a labor union. 

If you belong to a trade union, they will be willing to bargain on your behalf with your employer. If you’re not a part of a union, see if one exists at your place of business. Information can be found in the company’s employee handbook, intranet, or notice boards. 

Phase 2: file a complaint 

Check to see if the organization has a structured grievance process. And if they haven’t, you can always file a lawsuit, such as in the form of a letter. Explain why you feel you have not been adequately compensated and provide copies of any supporting documents. 

The third move: is to reach an early agreement

If your claim isn’t settled, you have the option of referring your boss to a tribunal. You’ll need to first notify Acas. 

Acas is a non-profit agency that offers impartial aid in resolving workplace conflicts. They’ll see if the manager can agree to something called “early conciliation,” which is a means of settling conflicts without having to go to a tribunal. 

Filling out the early conciliation form on the Acas website is the fastest way to get started. Alternatively, you can contact Acas’ early conciliation team by calling 0300 123 1122. 

Phase 4: file a lawsuit with a tribunal against your boss. 

You should only take your boss to a tribunal as a last resort. Consider the choices carefully before making an application to the tribunal; it could be frustrating, and paying for legal advice or representation could be costly. 

The deadline for filing a claim with the tribunal is three months and one day after the date on which you should have been paying the money. (You must have informed Acas, completed the early conciliation process, and received an early conciliation certificate.) 

If you need additional assistance, create a free account on our website can get legal advice from an expert.

We use cookies to improve your browsing experience

For more information please refer to our .